BEAUTY & ESSEX
Maybe it’s the food coma talking, but right now, I can’t think of a better place for a date or night out with friends. I didn’t think it was possible, but Beauty & Essex was even more delicious the second time. The food kept coming, and alcohol was flowing.
Like so many other New York restaurants, it has a bit of a kitchy entrance. Guests walk through a small pawn shop to a back door that unveils a posh lounge filled with some of New York’s most beautiful people. Looking around the elegant dining room with its gold-trimmed peacocks on the walls, I felt like I was transported onto the set of the next “Sex and the City” film. There may have been a well-known musician or two sitting at the table next to us. If you haven’t gone yet, here’s something else to entice you. They serve champagne in the ladies room.
Check out last night’s menu below.
• It was a beet something. I’m not a fan of beets to begin with, so….
Tomato Tartare: sunny side up quail egg, parmesan crostini
• This was one of my favorite dishes the first time.
Mission Fig & Goat Cheese: pancetta, caramelized onion
• Yes, it’s as good as it sounds. They’ll omit the pancetta for vegetarians.
Yellowtail Crudo: caramelized citrus yuzu, avocado, cilantro
• Light, fresh, and tangy
Lobster Tacos: beer battered maine lobster, red cabbage slaw, jalapeno crema
• It was a little too heavy for my taste but still very tasty.
Grilled Salmon: tandoori masala, chickpea ‘hash browns,’ chili-lime raita, micro basil
• Chickpea ‘hash browns’…what a discovery!
Kale & Apple Salad: apple cider vinaigrette, pancetta, candied pecans, shaved goat cheese
• I typically don’t enjoy fruit in my salad, but this dish was a star on the table. I had multiple servings.
Oven Braised Chicken Meatballs: sheeps milk ricotta, wild mushroom, truffle
• Mmm…it gives the Meatball Shop are run for its money.
Brick Pressed Chicken: shaved brussels sprouts, lemon créme fraiche, walnuts, creamy mascarpone polenta
• This was quite possibly the most tender chicken I’ve ever had.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
• This must’ve been a special because I don’t see it on the menu. If it’s available, you should definitely order it.
• I think this was another special. I’ve had better, but many of the other guests at my table really enjoyed it.
Box of Doughnuts: vanilla beignets with chocolate hazelnut creme & raspberry jam
• Make sure you save room for dessert because this one is worth it. It’s served warm.
• I think this was also a special. I was too full at this point, but they looked lovely.
Ruby Mojito: 10 Cane rum, St. Germain, lemon, mint, Luscombe raspberry-lemon soda
• More please
Woodford Wilson: Woodford Reserve bourbon, pineapple, lime, ginger beer, brandied vanilla cherry
• They don’t kid around. This one packs a small punch.
Side note: Be prepared to empty your wallet.
LOCATION: 146 Essex Street, NYC
NEIGHBORHOOD: Lower East Side (LES)